This small cove (right center, above the stump on the right) is most likely the exact site where Lewis docked his keelboat when he arrived at Clark's Point and General Clark's cabin. This little cove is 50 yards from the cabin. Lewis wrote William Clark a letter notifying him that he would be there sometime in September. Mail was delivered by boats headed downstream on the Ohio River. During Clark's wait he was busy recruiting new crew members. This view is from the front porch of General Clark's cabins. For 12 days Lewis visited the Clark's and discussed their objectives with Gen. Clark. On Oct 24th, 1803 the first phase of their travels together began. It is believed that as the Expedition started out they may have stopped along the Ohio to pickup John Shields (their blacksmith and gunsmith) and possibly the two Field brothers.